Oeufs en Cocotte
- 12 baby bella mushrooms, minced
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup salted butter, European style
- 1 cup of heavy cream (or more if you want a thinner gravy)
- salt + pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted (optional, to serve on the side for dipping!)
- Fill a large pot with about 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer.
- While the pot of water is on, melt about 1/4 cup of butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Once the butter is melted and bubbling, add shallots and mushrooms to the pan. Cook until the onions are soft, then add heavy cream until the mushrooms and shallots are covered.
- Add salt and pepper, and simmer until the cream thickens.
- Divide the gravy evenly among 4 ramekins, and crack 1 egg into each.
- Carefully place the ramekins into the pot of simmering water, cover and steam until the yolks form a white film. You can cook longer than this if you want your yolks more well done!
- Uncover the pot and remove ramekins with a pair of tongs.
- Serve with toasted baguette slices or biscuits!